The up side----
-Count our many blessings
-Thankful for that fact that Heavenly Father knew what we needed when we didn't have a clue!
-"Consider yourself a very lucky girl to have had one of those dear eternal friends in your life." Quoted from Cheryl's comment on Rachel's blog
The wrecking ball--also known as the downside----
-We need to seriously invest some money in Kleenex stock!
-I think this must be what it feels like when your dog dies! (not meaning to offend anyone who has EVER lost a special pet)
I think I will take BOTH! It's taken me two weeks to drum up the courage to even attempt to make a posting like this, and even now I know it won' t be an easy task. The good thing is anyone reading this won't be able to see my tears (no promises that you won't have some of your own by the time I finish).
You see, two weeks ago we left what had been our home for the last 20 months. It may not seem like a whole lot of time from the big picture perspective, but let me tell you, those 20 months felt more like a lifetime than I could ever imagine! Our lives were so blessed in Dayton, it will be a long time before we feel that spoiled by the Lord again! During our time in Dayton, our hearts and lives were touched by many, but the Heaton family left the biggest mark. It was kinda hard not to, considering we shared a yard with them! :) But you see, this was not like just any old friendship, it was so much more! We were all close, not just Rachel and I, or John and Josh, or Gabe, Porter and Zach, it was a friendship between all of us! We did EVERYTHING with these guys! They were always there-- during the day, on the weekends, in the evenings, holidays, promotions, birthdays and other special occasions...it was GREAT! We always knew they were just a few steps away. I can't even tell you how many times we would all just end up outside together and then it would turn into a whole day full of family fun!
Honestly, I am not sure if it's easier for them because they can go out and do things with other families that we all know, or if it's easier for us because we don't have to look at an empty drive way all day. It was hard enough when the Hansen driveway was vacant every time I came home. I am not sure I could handle not seeing the Heaton's at home.
We know that it was truly the Lord's hand that brought our families together and that he saw the need we had for each other long before any of us knew there was even a void to be filled. Some of our favorite times shared (so far) with the Heaton's are-
-Gabe instantly bonding with Josh! Those two had such a connection from the first time they ever met, so much so, that Gabe called Dana, "Josh" for months!
-Rachel listening to all my pregnancy woes. It was so nice to have such support from someone who was going through the same thing at the same time. That's something that we will always be able to share! It's a great comfort knowing that there is someone I can call and confide in who will be feeling the same way at the same time, especially when Zach and Porter, start school, get their driver's license, start dating, leaving for missions, heading off to college, and who knows-- they will probably get married 6 weeks apart too! And the best part is, this will all be round 2 for her, so she will have great advice!
-The introduction to Killer Bunnies and Ticket to Ride! We spent many late nights playing games, chatting, and teasing each other (very similar to some sibling rivalry)! And when the ladies weren't feeling like participating in ,a game night, the boys would start a game of RISK that would last into the wee hours of the morning.
-Josh and John and their golf games. They always came home with great "fish" stories.
-Airport shuttles. It was so nice knowing that there was always going to be someone picking you up who was happy to have you home just as much as you were happy to be home!
-Our Tennessee trip. I'll bet Josh and John never thought they would spend a weekend in Chattanooga, TN! Rachel, maybe! After all my stories about Chattanooga, it didn't take much convincing to head down there for a weekend trip.
-The crazy things Gabe said! There are SO many, but some that Josh and I will never forget are; "One, two buckle my shoe, three, four shut the door, five, six pick up sticks AND FIGHT!" "Mommy, dinner, GO!" "My favorite thing at Disneyland was seeing Darth-MATOR!" "Nope, Daddy doesn't need prayers, he needs medicine!" "Look, it's a woo-woo!" "I've waited my whole life for this!" "Can Josh come and play?"
-Our twin train of thought....granted, we did quite a bit of shopping together, but yet it was always cute to see Zach and Porter wearing the same thing! They had pretty similar summer attire last year! And it didn't just stop with the kiddos! Rachel and I would even come out of the house wearing the same thing (or very similar). People at church probably thought we planned it!
-The temple. John and Rachel were there with us when Josh went to the temple for the first time and when Josh and I returned with Zachary to be sealed for all time and eternity.
-Cafe Rio chicken! You guys have us hooked! It's a lot of work but SOOOO worth it with every bite!
-Meals in general. We spent so many meals together! At home, outside, just our families, lots of other families, out to dinner, out for dessert, out to lunch just because we felt like it (or didn't feel like cooking)
-The Sonic and Dairy Queen calls, we like to share the joy!
-My family is your family. We not only shared stories about our families, but when they came to visit, we shared our family. It was always important for us to share with our families back home just what our family in Dayton was like. I know that I have never met Rachel's sister, Jenny, but if I did, I imagine it would be like seeing someone I have known for years!
-Babysitting swaps. Such a blessing having friends SO close!
-My running partner! Shortly after Rachel and I both had our babies, I pretty much didn't give her a choice in running with me! No, I wasn't trying to be mean, I just wanted someone to make me do it too! I just never really took no for an answer from Rachel. There have been times Rachel said I pushed her, but in reality she pushed me just as much. I need the accountability and she was it (except for me getting pregnant again, all accountability went out the window at that point)! If we made plans to run outside, a 5k, a triathlon, or anything, I knew I couldn't back out if she had already said yes to it.....Rachel, I do expect to see you cross another half marathon finish line and I will be right there with you!
-Twilight-After months of Rachel telling me I should just read one of those books. I finally did! In fact, I got so hooked that I read the entire series in a week last summer! Now I am hooked and am sure that I will read them several more times in the the years to come.
Are you starting to see how we did EVERYTHING with these guys!
Here are a few pictures from our last hours in Dayton

Zachary and Porter starting their "Thomas" addiction already!
Gabe with Josh! If Josh was around, Gabe was never far away!
Zach and Porter hugging each other good bye! If they only knew how sweet of a moment this was for their moms!
My mom snapped a picture of us right after we said our "see ya later" Luckily, you can't see all the tears that we both had running down our faces!
Although I feel like I have lost my best friend, I am very grateful to have had one of "those dear eternal friends" in my life.
Until our next adventure....we miss you, we love you, and we can't wait to see what's in store for our families in the future!
1 comment:
And just when I start to think I'm doing okay . . . I'm crying all over again! Thanks for sharing - we love you guys and miss you! Your mom got some great pictures, tell her thanks too!
Post a Comment